Close to my Heart scrapbooking and cardmaking products

I'm an independent Close to my Heart consultant! If you're interested in our wonderful line of products, you can check them out or order online on my website at: Francine.cmth.com.au



29 March 2011

Mouth Jewellery

Ok, so I know the topic of this layout is weird, but I've wanted to do this for some time, and the Apron Strings challenge number 16 gave me the impetus to make it. The challenge was to make a layout using round items, with at least two larger than three inches. I looked through all my collected sketches, and on sketch sites online and couldn't find one that I liked that incorporated enough, or large enough circles. So, I actually made this one up myself - first time in ages!

So without further ado - here's the layout:
So, yes, those are closeups of my teeth! I had a special apparatus to move my lower jaw (to correct it's position and help with my headaches - which it did!) which in turn changed my bite, necessitating me to wear braces. I recently had them removed and am now wearing a (clear!) retainer. But I digress. Every six weeks I had to have the elastics holding the wire in place changed. The assistant convinced me the first time I had them changed to go for coloured elastics (it was coming up to Christmas and she suggested red and green), so every time after that I had a different colour. When my neighbour saw them she said something I didn't forget - that it looked like 'mouth jewellery', and so the idea of this layout was then born in my head, and here it is finally!
Everything on this layout comes from my stash, all left over bits and pieces. When I first finished it, I didn't like it too much as it was missing something. I decided to pierce holes around the outside of the papers and pictures, then added stitching with beads. That took a while - but it suddenly lifted the layout and finished it somehow. For the title I used flocked letters and to the word 'mouth' I stitched seed beads in between each letter and put a wire through it to replicate the braces. I think it looks pretty cool! What do you think?
Till next time, happy days!
Francine

3 comments:

Lori said...

That's awesome! I too am a former adult braces-wearer. I always went for the clear bands - the less attention for me the better. My daughter, however, is all about the mouth jewelry. Great topic!!

Teresa Zuehls said...

I enjoyed your mouth jewelry lay out. It reminded me when my daughter wore braces. That was probably the only thing she liked about having braces. She always picked colors for whatever the holiday was or her schools color. Very cool lay out and I liked all the bead work.

Anonymous said...

Oh boy, I can't wait, 61 years old and I get braces AGAIN! Your LO is great! Sondra